Personal tools
You are here: Home Members Bryn Bryn's Ride Log A Few More Miles...
Elgin, JC Higgins, J.C. Higgins, They're All Sears bikes, and all freaking awesome!!  I love that the Firestone bikes are all the same frames too... It's too bad there isn't more information out there about these bikes as they totally kick ass.  Yes, they're not quite as good quality as a Schwinn, but they're absolutely serviceable and personally I find they fit taller riders a bit better.  One really could ask why AREN'T these bikes ruling the world about now?!?
Navigation
 

A Few More Miles...

by Bryn — last modified Oct 14, 2007 11:31 AM

I really need to get an odometer on my bike...

Komet SuperWell, this week worked out pretty good!

Wednesday rocked - I got off work early and met up with da hui for "Round 1"... Ripped down to the Roundabout, had a good rip around the park and back out again to Rocky Point.  Later on it was "Round 2" - met up with Michael and Danu and had a more "epic" ride out to UBC and through some of the trails... Total distance - about 55km for the day.  Oy!

Had a good Friday this week too... Did a park ride for a change. (!!)  Rolled to the 9 o-clock gun hoping that it'd be operational again - some of the CUPE workers were back in, but apparently not whomever makes the charges for the gun.  So yet another 9 o-clock dud.  Beaver lake, trails, etc... Good times...

I've been riding the KK lots lately, and really enjoying the Torpedo hub... Well, MOSTLY enjoying it (sshh, don't tell) - it's been doing everything it's supposed to do, it rolls REALLY well but I wasn't totally happy with the brake.  No issues stopping - just took a bit more effort than I felt like it should.  It's also had a couple hundred km on it now since I assembled it, so it seemed like a good time to check things out.

Don't remember if I wrote anything about it or not, but the hub on the KK was sold as a "new old stock, built from leftover parts at a bike shop"... When I got it I of course tore it down - nothing showed any signs of ever having been used BUT... the bearings on both sides didn't seem quite right.  They were both US bearing manufacturers, and this is a German hub.  Well, German = Metric, US = Imperial so right there the alarm bells were going off.  When I originally assembled it the keeper on the left side bearings clearly wasn't right and seemed to be binding on the cone a bit.  So I did that side loose ball.  Right side seemed ok though so I went with it...

Well, on the teardown (which I of course forgot about the loose balls on... plink plink plink bounce bounce bounce) I found the right side keeper showing some obvious signs of being unhappy..  Basically where each ball is in the keeper the edge of the keeper was "torn" indicating the ball was trying to squeeze out of it.  Explains why I was having to fiddle with the cone adjustment so much!  So I did loose ball on that side too - now that hub spins like nothing else, it has ALMOST no resistance now, just a bit more than a decent front hub, pretty good for a coaster brake!

I couldn't help but wonder if the bearing issues were causing any grief for the brakes too... Turns out that was right on the money.  Post rebuild and I've got REALLY good brakes on this puppy!  I always thought it had a bit more to give, just needed the right parts!  Anyhow, I've got a few more of these hubs now, including one newer one that's greased instead of oiled.  That one will probably find its way on to the Hampton - one happy coincidence is the hub flange is pretty much the same size as the Hi-Stop coasters so you can get away with re-using spokes if you're feeling cheap.  Awesome!

Document Actions