Personal tools
You are here: Home Members Bryn Bryn's Ride Log Hill Hunter
Elgin, JC Higgins, J.C. Higgins, They're All Sears bikes, and all freaking awesome!!  I love that the Firestone bikes are all the same frames too... It's too bad there isn't more information out there about these bikes as they totally kick ass.  Yes, they're not quite as good quality as a Schwinn, but they're absolutely serviceable and personally I find they fit taller riders a bit better.  One really could ask why AREN'T these bikes ruling the world about now?!?

Hill Hunter

by Bryn — last modified May 10, 2007 12:47 AM

What goes up must come down... and then up... and maybe some more down, but probably some up after that...

Well, you'd think after Monday and Tuesday I'd be good... And honestly I was, while it was awesome when I got off work I wasn't really figuring on anyone being up for a ride. But of course right as I got in my car to come home my phone rang - Big John wondering if anything was happening.

Well, gave Mad Dog a call, texted a few people and another ride was born... Had Mad Dog, Chris, Big John, Jaime, Melissa and a friend who's name I unfortunately can't remember anymore.

Rolled down to Science World to find Jaime and Big John already there. We had a couple roll up on us and chat for a bit, but decided they were going to take off. Oh well, their loss. Actually probably their gain given the ride we ended up doing!!

Melissa and her buddy were only in for so long a ride, so heading East suited them fine. The rest of our group were all ready for a bit of a hill climb so we decided to tackle something new - check out the map. Amber had suggested Trout Lake earlier in the evening (even though she couldn't come!!) and we were headed in that direction, so why not?

We rode East a bunch over to Lakewood for a nice climb. We got ourselves up to the top of a hill - every single direction we could go from there was down short of climbing a tree. Best of all we could see Science World off in the distance, not 30 minutes from us yet so far away. Gorgeous night - sun just going down, mountains in all their sunset splendor, what more could you ask for? The 9 o'clock gun fired about then, wow, still so early!

From there it's straight down hill to Trout Lake. Lakewood is a really good bike route - the downhill side has stop signs at every cross street so you can really get your rip on through to Broadway. Catch a light there, cross 12th and there you go, Trout Lake right in front of you.

Did a lap of the lake until we found a good place to stop. Sat ourselves down and watched the last of the sun set - still nicely warm, this is the BEST!! From there Melissa and her friend were heading back home - they both live up that way - but we still had a ride to do! Elapsed time at this point - about 45 minutes and we're already at Trout Lake!

Headed off towards 15th or so and climbed up towards Windsor. Actually went a block past Windsor which really wasn't the best idea riding wise but we ran in to Danu and his lady (sorry, can't remember your name right now!!) They were having a nice evening out - props to them knowing they have to ride all the way back to Deep Cove.

Got ourselves up to Kingsway and back over to Windsor. Got a bit more of a climb on before we deeked over to St. Catherine's Street till we were up around 37th. I was figuring I'd take it easy on everyone and not go all the way up to 41st but the crowd insisted on the maximum Cemetery ride so the sidewalk was the way up Fraser.

Rolled into the cemetery (yet again!!) which was actually a first time for most of the group. We stopped for a bit at one memorial just north of 37th - same place I stopped last night with a different group. Continued on through the rest of the cemetery till we finally popped out at 32nd.

We rolled on through the dogleg onto John street - what a weird little bit of urban planning. As soon as we got on to 29th we realized Mad Dog and Chris were missing though. Called Mad Dog on his phone, no answer. Well, Mad Dog had already taken off on us once back over at Trout Lake plus him and Chris were together and have taken off before so what could we do? We figured they'd rolled straight on down Prince Edward after the cemetery thinking they'd save some hill climbing. Turns out Mad Dog had some sort of incident back in the cemetery and Chris was making sure they were ok. Wish I'd found that out earlier - I headed with Jaime and Big John back all the way to Science World expecting to see Mad Dog and Chris there - when they didn't show I checked my voicemail and found out the real story. Hope you guys got home ok!!

I feel so spoiled - there's only so many cities where you can pull off riding like this EVER let alone with weather as nice as tonight. So freaking good, I love it. Sunshine = yay!!

Document Actions


Avatar Posted by Bryn at May 10, 2007 06:00 PM
Well well well... Things just keep getting interesting!

First off, a little detail I left out... Jaime and I were sitting at Science World, half waiting to see if Mad Dog and Chris would show up and half waiting till the next SeaBus for Jaime. I hear this "screee... HOOOOOOONK THWACK SCREEEEEECH" and say to Jaime "I think someone just got hit!!"

We sat there for a bit - next thing we know there's 3 or 4 cop cars, an ambulance, a fire resuce truck and a full on fire truck. So yeah, that's apparently what someone getting hit sounds like. Word to the wise - if you're driving around the more cracked out areas of town, the general rule that pedestrians stay on the sidewalk and look before crossing really don't apply.

OK, so now for thing #2... Just where DID Mad Dog and Chris go anyhow?

I had called Mad Dog when they went missing, no answer. I sat at Science World for a while waiting, when they never showed I called again and found out Mad Dog had gashed his leg up a bit. No good! But I still couldn't get ahold of him. After trying a couple of times today with no luck, sending a text to Chris going "Hey, do you know what's going on?" and a few other attempts finally Mad Dog called me this afternoon.

Turns out as we rolled in to the bottom of the cemetery he wanged his leg against a steel pole by the gate. Unfortunately he had keys in his pocket and well, keys + leg = bad times. He didn't want us to worry about him so he kept it under his hat, but that's why he booked off. 8 stitches later and after arranging a ride for his bike he was home.

So why was he calling me this afternoon? To find out if anyone was going out for a ride!! Well what can I do but say yes? That's HARD CORE!!