Now THAT'S a Heavy Pedal!
Last night we did 50+ KM - yikes!! Adds new meaning to "my butt hurts"...
So the "Goal" was to scout some routes for the upcoming Royal City Show and Shine - now don't worry, what we did won't be the route. There's a reason I'm telling people to take the SkyTrain up to Patterson though - when you tack on the extra 15 km to get up there in the first place, then another 5km or so of wandering about in the wrong place you really rack up the distance!
This was my first ride with my brand new data logger (see Review - Holux GPSport 245 ), so this is also my first ride with a detailed route map of EXACTLY where we went!
w00t! I like my new toy... It's totally great to be able to see where you got off track or whatever.
So anyhow, I'm pretty sure I have the route all dialed now, at least in my head. We'll have to get out there once more at least to make sure it's all good and make a proper route map of it (the one from last night is just what we did, it isn't hte actual route) There was one part of the ride in New West where the bike path actually isn't built yet, much to our surprise last night. Oh, serious construction zone, GREAT, thanks... Booo...
The Government street part of the Greenway is out for sure - it's serious Spandex rider territory. I think it'd probably be great on a light, fast bike but on cruisers I have to give it a FAIL. I think there's a good path along the south side of Burnaby Lake we can take instead though - gotta get out there again and run it while it's still fresh!
On the upside the entire ride took us about 4 hours including stops. That was starting right from Legoland too, the ride up to Patterson took us about an hour (and BOY was I tired when we got up there)... We really only took 3 breaks (as is the 'Standard' for Heavy Pedal rides!) - one in East Van, one just past Brooklyn Pub and the final one on the bridge over Still Creek on the "nearly home" side of the Greenway.
I'm thinking for the Royal City ride we'll do something like this:
- Patterson SkyTrain Meetup - roll out around 12:45 / 1:00 depending on what the crowd is looking like
- Take off along the SkyTrain route - it's flat from Patterson till just past Metrotown, then it starts going downhill pretty quick
- First Stop - Near Edmonds station, there's a neat spot where you can hang out below the two SkyTrain tracks with trains shooting both ways over you - should get there 1:30 at the latest
- Roll on the rest of the way down to New West from there... Not really any good stopping spots until we're at the car show... We should get to the car show just after 2:15 or so
- Bike Judging will happen at 3:00 right out front of Brooklyn Pub
- I figure we'll stick around the car show/pub until probably about 4:30 / 5:00 or so. From there you can either SkyTrain out or keep riding with us. Columbia SkyTrain is right up the street from Brooklyn Pub so it's easy to hop back up to Patterson if that's your flavour. Or you can ride with us back in to Vancouver and then get home however works for you - SkyTrain, bike, whatever
- We'll ride the Central Valley Greenway from Brooklyn Pub - it pretty much starts right there at the pub. Was thining we could have our first stop just around the corner to let those who have pre-purchased refreshments enjoy them a bit. Probably get moving again about 5:30 or so
- Ride on along the bike route from there - it's a bit more residential for the first bit but then we quickly drop down through Hume Park and start following Still Creek.
- Next stop will be the Rowing Club by Burnaby Lake - we've stopped there a bunch of Friday rides. Should be about 6:00 - 6:30 by the time we get there
- The run back to Science World is about 45 minutes from Burnaby Lake... So that will put us back there about 7:30 - 8:00 at the latest depending on our pace and how long our breaks are...
How's that sound for a crazy bike filled day?! I'm looking forward to it big time!