Personal tools
You are here: Home Members Bryn Bryn's Ride Log Rod's Wednesday Ride
Elgin, JC Higgins, J.C. Higgins, They're All Sears bikes, and all freaking awesome!!  I love that the Firestone bikes are all the same frames too... It's too bad there isn't more information out there about these bikes as they totally kick ass.  Yes, they're not quite as good quality as a Schwinn, but they're absolutely serviceable and personally I find they fit taller riders a bit better.  One really could ask why AREN'T these bikes ruling the world about now?!?

Rod's Wednesday Ride

by Bryn — last modified May 03, 2007 12:19 PM

Feeling a bit damp, are we?

Definitely not a night to have my camera out!!  Thankfully I left it at home, otherwise I think I'd still be trying to drain the water out of it...

So Wednesday afternoon rolls around - clouds start clearing out, sun starts shining, awesome!!  We're RIDING TONIGHT!!!!  Sure, it was pouring earlier but hey, it's all done now, right?


We rolled on down to Crab Park and had our pre-ride meet up... The Turk, Dirty Don, Logan, Chuck, Jaimie, Kendal, Mad Dog, Chris, my lovely lady and myself, nice little group of our own!!  Look towards the mountains - gorgeous, clear, blue sky, couldn't be better.  Turn around and look back to the south west though - big BLACK clouds rolling on in.  I'd been watching the weather radar all day - it had been looking like it was clearing up but that was definitely where the weather was coming from.  Uh oh...  Well, let's just ignore it for the time being - maybe it'll be all good, right?

About 7:45 we got ourselves rolling.  Got as far as the overpass when BLAM!  Crank and bottom bracket bearings all over the road behind Jaimie.  That's the end of the night for him!!  His crank sheared right in the middle - nothing to hold the bottom bracket in means not even the trick we did with Dylan a while back would help.  Fortunately for Jaimie we were still pretty close to the SeaBus - not TOO bad a trek home for him.

Did the obligatory pause for Jaimie to collect himself and then we were off again!  OK, to the Pat!!  En route the rain started... Not too much at first, pretty light, definitely not as bad as some nights we've had... Let's give 'er and get indoors, maybe it will blow over, right?

Rolled in to the Pat just after 8:00...  Pretty decent crew there already, we pretty much doubled the ride up.  Got to try out the new "Pat's Classic Lager" that they're brewing on-site at the Patricia - it's actually pretty good!  I'd recommend it over a lot of the other beers they've got in there, best of all it's CHEAP!  Good times...

Stayed for a round or two... Kept hoping the rain would let up but no such luck.  About 8:45 we headed out the door - just lightly coming down at that point, not too big a deal, right?  Still enough time to make it to the 9 o'clock gun at a relatively leisurely pace.  Odd bit of lightning and thunder around, we'll just pretend we don't see that...

Did the usual route through Downtown, up over the overpass and along under Canada Place in to Coal Harbor.  Rain started picking up a bit more as we came along there so we dropped ourselves down by the Roundabout under the causeway there.  That ended up being pretty much the final destination for the ride.  Totally good place to stop though - we had tunes, beer, it was decently warm and a nice crew of about 20 people.  Plus due to the rain the park was abandoned so the place was all ours!

I think we stayed there until close to 10:00... North Shore crew headed for home from there, another contingent went towards the Cambie while about 7 or 8 of us stayed behind under the bridge for another bit.  Eventually a very nice security guard came by and said hello, chatted with us for a bit and told us she'd see us next weekend... I guess she recognized us or something!!  ;)

By that point the rain was POURING fast and furious.  More than a few of us didn't exactly have the proper rain gear so we really weren't looking forward to riding any further than absolutely necessary.  Eventually decided the time was right and booked - West End crew disappeared pretty quick, the remainder of us rolled out along the SeaWall taking the odd dry stop here and there until the Cambie bridge where all bets were off... BOOK!!

By the time we got home both of us were soaked to the bone... Did I mention it's about 10k for Amber and I to get home from there?  Yes, our ride to and from the ride was quite a bit longer than the ride itself!! Dry clothes NOW PLEASE!!!  Despite the soaking it was a good night - most importantly it was WARM!!!  Hey, better luck next time, right?  Friday is supposed to be good and dry, hopefully we can do it up right this time!

Document Actions